Wednesday, October 10, 2012

One Month in Paradise

I've finally been in my new home for a month and seven days! And I'm already a whole month behind blogging!! Oh no! But here is my month at a glance!

The first week of school went by great! I was actually really nervous since I had no clue what to expect. Luckily, I had made some good friends and had an awesome roommate to go everywhere with me! I'm not sure if I already said this, but my roommate lives in Japan and her name is Megan. Anyways, my first college class experience was not like Elle Woods in Legally Blonde! All my teachers are super chill! My bio teacher is a surfer too! I really love my Book of Mormon class and my English class. Its a given that I strongly dislike my math class, and its not even math! Its more like reasoning and other stuff I did not learn in high school! OH, and my Wellness and Fitness teacher is the actual author of the book we use! He's super cool too! Overall I'm doing good in all my classes, and I've made friends in all my classes so we can all help each other out on homework and studying!

Time to talk about the beaches! Yes, I go almost everyday for about an hour! I ABSOLUTELY love going to the beach! After the first week of classes, my group of friends and I went and watched the sunrise. It was so beautiful, and now we made it a goal to go every second weekend of each month (we're actually going this Saturday morning)! I learned how to body surf and improved my body boarding skills! And, no, I don't get dark like I do in Tennessee! Its so weird, but I am darker! Haha! Last weekend, I went to my very first beach bonfire! It was fun, and I felt so cool since I was hanging out with all the locals!   Its so weird to think that it is fall on the mainland! The only way we know its getting closer to winter is the wave sizes! Come winter, the North Shore will be a hot spot for some big wave surfers!

Here's some randomness I should add...Everybody here rides around on longboards (skateboards), so I decided to get myself one! It took me a while to find one that was a good price and sweet looking, but I finally found it last weekend at Ala Moana Mall! I'm not a pro yet, but I'm getting there! I also got a surf board! Eventually, I'll learn how to surf, I just need to find the time! I'm also doing Crossfit  4 days a week, and that means no freshman 15!! The dances here are so fun! And for the first time I feel like a white person when I dance next to the Polys! I also hang out with some locals! I love love this culture! I have no doubt in my mind that this is where I am supposed to be! And like daddy said, I'll never want to leave, and I sure don't ever want to leave this beautiful place. I love the whole closeness of La'ie, the relaxed atmosphere, and the weather! I'll be sure to keep this up a lot more than I have this past month!


Oh one last thing! Last Thursday I stepped on a bee...and my foot blew up like a balloon! It was literally the worse 48 hours I've gone through! So, here's the full story... My friends and I had been at the beach and we walked over to the showers to rinse off. Once I was done rinsing off, I walked oner to my bag. As soon as I got to the palm tree where my bag was, I stepped on something sharp! I quickly lifted my foot up to see a yellow and black ball on the inside of my foot!! I flicked off the bee and then noticed it was too late, I'd already been stung!! Not so calmly I called out for one of my guy friends who knelt down to examine my foot. He then got his student ID and got the stinger out! "Thank goodness" I thought, until my foot started to burn and pulse with pain! Everyone back home knows that I have a high pain tolerance, but I was trying really hard to ignore the pain shooting up my leg! I grabbed my friends had and did some deep breathing to calm my heart rate. He asked if I was ok because I had "crazy eyes"! I lied and said I was fine, but I was about to die! After a while of standing there, and praying I was not allergic, we proceeded to walk back to campus. Within a hour my foot started getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger! Everyone of my friends asked if I was allergic to bees and all I could say was "I have no clue, but isn't this supposed to happen to you?" My the next morning, my foot was EXTREMELY swollen! So swollen I could not walk or get a shoe on! I sent an email to my teach explaining that I won't be attending class due to my huge foot. I did go to my second class, but only to turn in a paper. I didn't make it to my last class, because my foot was in pain, again! So I took some Benadryl and passed out till that night! Then some girl told me that she gets the same way and all I need to to is put some baking soda on it and I'll be good as new. We'll Ive been doing that since Friday, and my foot is barely back to normal! And that's my awesome story about my fat bee stung foot! It still itches like craziness!

And on a good note, I had a wonderful dinner Monday night, thanks to one of my workout buddie's family who is in town! I finally got my steak!!!!

Well, that's all for now! Shoots! \m/ (there's my attempt to make a shaka!)


No comments:

Post a Comment